Do you know what the duties and obligations of a fashion designer are? This article shows you all the tasks these specialists can carry out and what job openings are available to them. Let's go there!
What are the functions of a fashion designer?
Although these fashion professionals can be very skilled (and, on the other hand, they can also specialise), in an oversimplified way, we could say that the functions of a fashion designer consist of devising, designing, developing (and, where appropriate, making) garments, clothing and other fashion accessories, both in separation or as a component of a fashion collection.
The roles and duties of a fashion designer can be diversified.
Therefore, some of the main specific tasks or functions that fashion designers can carry out are the following:
- Determine the style or conceptual framework of an haute fashion design line or a collection as a whole.
- Choose the various materials, fabrics, textures and colours to use in the production.
- Create and design pieces of garments or accessories, including making sketches and prototypes.
- Define the requirements and technical specifications that will be passed to the production department.
- Supervise the process of making garments or accessories, participating in quality control. Where appropriate, you must propose the necessary corrections or adjustments and ensure that the final product meets your initial requirements.
- Participate in the commercialisation, marketing, advertising and communication processes. To do this, you must ensure that you convey the haute fashion idea or concept that gives class to the collection or that inspires the fashion design of the garment in question.
Functions of a fashion designer: specialisation
Whatever your training as a fashion designer, the most common is that you need to train in a specific branch of this profession.
Accordingly, although there may be off-road designers, nearly always your own work experience, along with your inclinations, will lead you towards certain areas within the fashion world. In this way, all this will accustom the duties you finally have to improve and your wage as a fashion designer.
To cite a few examples, you could specialise in one of these branches:
- Women's apparel design.
- Men's apparel design.
- Children's apparel.
- Shoe design.
- Fashion accessories design.
- Sportswear and shoes design.
Job opportunities to develop the functions of fashion designer
As you can imagine, even within a specific area (for example, children's clothing), the fashion designer can handle only particular types of functions. This will be the case, above all, in large companies in the textile sector, while in smaller ones your work will be less specialised.
In this sense, in both cases, you could take care of the most creative part of the whole process, such as the conception of the original designs.
However, your tasks could be limited to some specialised regions within fashion design:
- Trend research or coolhunting, looking for new directions in the world of fashion, discovering fashion design ideas from personal observation, etc.
- Supervision of creation processes, ensuring the satisfactory practical expression of the designer's ideas.
- Mix yourself in the marketing or information departments to design the marketing strategy of the designs.
- Exercise costume and fashion style advice in film, television, theatre, etc.
- You are writing reviews about fashion, especially if you combine fashion design studies with journalism or marketing. For example, you could be in charge of writing narratives about fashion catwalks, reports about designers, etc.
In virtually any of these areas, having a certain command of technology is often highly recommended. And it is that, in 2021, computing, automation or social networks have a prominent role in the world of fashion.
Ideal profile to commit yourself to this profession
If you want to commit yourself to this industry and develop the abilities of an haute fashion designer, it would be impressive if your profile fits as closely as possible to this description:
- Interest in the world of haute fashion, fashion trends and apparel design.
- Creative ingenuity, originality and innovative spirit.
- Artistic talent to capture fashion design ideas (primarily through freehand sketches, but not exclusively).
- Technical knowledge to establish the best way to transfer designs to industrial production.
- Ability to work in a team (and, eventually, manage people if the position requires it).
- Business and marketing skills.
- Attention to particular features, versatility and capacity for self-organisation.
- Uninhibited ability to communicate creative ideas.
- Principles of fashion design software and other computer applications (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.).
In any case, as we have pointed out above, the required skills can change substantially depending on the type of position you end up performing. Anyway, aspects such as creativity, communication skills, and the ability to work in a team will benefit you in any task you develop within fashion design.
In short, the functions of a fashion designer, contrary to what is sometimes thought, can cover a great diversity of tasks. Therefore, once you have finished your practice, you should orient your career towards the most exciting area that best fits your professional profile. Without a doubt, this way you will be able to develop a higher quality job and have a more satisfactory working life.
If you want more information about our fashion design course, you can ask us for more information without obligation.